Saturday, January 12, 2008

Clothing Budget


Ok so I need some help here. Last night I came home from Old Navy with some stellar finds. (I bought Jocy some long sleeved shirts for $2). After showing off all my bargains to Reed he just shook his head and laughed and then said, I think you are addicted to shopping. I gasped and replied, That's ridiculous! I then proceeded to inform him that most women I know spend money on clothes for themselves, their kids, and their husbands. (I came home with pants and shirt and a sweater for him--- and to my dismay he was not at all giddy over his new clothes!) All he said was "I can't fathom that others spend this much money on clothes too!" So a light bulb went on in my brain and I said, "Well I'll just put a poll on my blog and then we can see for sure." So here's my anonymous and I am sure VERY scientific poll on the clothing spending habits of the american women. Please average out what you spend a month on clothing for your entire family. That's everything from shoes to coats to underwear to... well you get the idea. And then since we're all in different circumstances with how many people we have in our family will you just ball park what you'd spend if you were a family of five? Anyways, then we can determine if a) I'm just as normal as the rest of the world and my dear sweet husband will need to realize that some money does need to be spent on clothes or b) I am addicted and will mend my ways and join Shopaholics Anonymous immediately. :)

7 comments:

Katie Smith said...

Here's my thing with shopping. I don't think of shopping a monthly expenditure. I feel there are a few times per year that new clothes need to, or should be, purchased. Honestly, I don't even make it to the mall on average once per month. Maybe if I had more money this would all be different, but this is how I feel about shopping.

But, I'm still voted and I'm interested to see what your findings are!

mahina said...

i second katie's remarks. i buy only when necessary. but i don't really like to shop, so my vote might not count!

i am very interested to see the results, though!

The Thomas Family said...

That's hilarious! I'm all over that pole. It will be interesting to see the results.
I'm afraid I'm right there with Kate though. I think clothing is definatly a necessity, and I don't think men always see it that way. But, we maybe shop for clothes a few times a year. Although, that is not by choice, that's due to our circumstances.

Madsen Family said...

Megan--All I want to do right now is shop for clothes in the size I USED to fit into. I LOVE to shop and though we are by no means rich, I just skimp in other areas of our budget, say food. I figure it's a win-win; we eat less, so we are skinnier and then we can buy cute clothes:) Really, though, I am SURE you don't spend as much as me and I'm used to only buying clothes for me:) But not for long. Since we are having a boy, there is a chance that I won't always go hog-wild on baby clothes, but ONLY a chance. I've already got a good start:)

Becca said...

I have no idea what I spend on clothes Megan. I don't go every week or anything but it seems like someone always needs something. will say this though. I can't pass up a good deal. $2 shirts? Come on! You have to buy it.

Madsen Family said...

Soooo, Megan--you need to tell us the results and if you spend on average what the rest of us spend. I'm dying of suspense:)

Behunin Family said...

Oh yeah, you caught the 50% off clearance prices huh? :)

Todd and I have had this SAME conversation. I've defended myself by saying these things:
First, I almost NEVER buy things unless it's a great deal.
Second, we always use them! (I'm not sure if Reed is this way, but Todd has quite a few tools and electronics he "NEEDED" and then landed in the garage- at least the kids wear their stuff!)
Third, I rarely buy things for myself... there ARE women who do. Trust me, I have some clients Reed and Todd would be astounded if they met. :)
And lastly, I don't have other hobbies. Shopping for sales IS my big hobby. I could have huge monthly bills on something else, but shopping is a nice way to get out, take a break and get some good bargains. Basically, I've told him it could be worse.

Anyway- I voted 100-149 because we agreed to budget 100 a month for it, but I usually go over somehow. We do have a family of 5 now and my baby is growing like a weed, so this includes him.

If that's not normal, then we should just shop together. Ya know, birds of a feather, right? :)

playlist