Friday, March 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa Chugg!


While in Utah, we celebrated my Grandpa Chugg's (my mom's dad) birthday. He turned 72 this year and I realized it's been a long time since I spent a birthday with him. I love my grandpa so much... as all grandchildren do. In honor of the wonderful man he is I wanted to list just a few of the reasons I love him:

He is a hard worker, probably the hardest worker I know. He, at 72, wears me out with all his projects. He can do most anything. If he doesn't know how to do it, he learns how to.

He is dedicated to the gospel and serving in the church. I have watched him serve in a variety of capacities and am always amazed at his level of service. Nothing is too much to give and he serves willingly and faithfully in whatever he is asked to do.

He has great wisdom. He grew up in circumstances that did not allow him to go to college but that did not stop him from being successful. He worked his way up the ladder at Boeing, where he worked for over 20 years. He has seen more of the world than I could ever dream. Even as an adult I am constantly surprised when he mentions a country he has visisted. I think these experiences and many others have made him more wise and intelligent than all the college degrees in the world could.

He loves to spoil his grandkids. He has fourteen grandchildren (and 8 great-grandchildren) and he spoils us all. He is very affectionate with each of us and is more than happy to dote on us. Case in point- we went down to BYU to the creamery and he bought us icecream. My cousin Dallin, who is almost 12, got a HUGE bowl of icecream. He said, "Mom would never let me have this much icecream but grandpa will!"

I am so grateful for my grandpa. For the example he is, for the love he shows me, and for the man that he is. Happy Birthday Grandpa! I love you!

3 comments:

rozalyn said...

You know, I don't know you're Grandpa too well, but from the times that I've spent with him I loved him. He, and your Grandma too!, are so warm, loving, and welcoming, how could anyone not love them? Doug and I both have fond memories of him. I always felt that he just loved his grandkids so much, no matter what. And I can't believe that he's only 72! That's one young grandpa!

Megan said...

thanks Roz, didn't you stay at their house one time with me? I have this vague memory of it but as Reed says, I have a terrible memory... which is why I scrapbook. It's the only way to truly show who is right. :)

Katie Smith said...

I would have to agree that, from what I know, your Grandpa is an amazing man. What a blessing to have him as a part of your life, and your kids' lives.

playlist