Saturday, October 11, 2008

Lifesaver

I despise bedtime.
Not my bedtime.
My kids' bedtime.

Since Reed has been working nights and has scouts on tuesday, it now leaves me to do bedtime on my own a minimum of 5 nights a week. If my kids went dutifully, and quickly, and happily to bed, I would not be in this situation. It also doesn't help that by the time bedtime hits I have mentally checked out of "mom" duty and am moving into "my" time. Jocy doesn't struggle with bed time as much. She is often out fairly quickly but Nate, oh how he struggles!

Sometimes for hours.
Which, in turn, means I struggle for hours.

Quite some time ago, Reed introduced me to Pandora. It is a website that allows you to select an artist and then it plays a variety of songs by a variety of artists that are similar in nature.

Loved it then.
ADORE it now.

Last Sunday, Reed selected "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" and had some great music playing in the background. Then three nights ago, I had it playing before bed and they wanted it left on so after they were in beds I let it play in the background.
Both were asleep within 20 minutes.
Again last night.
Again tonight.

I don't want to jinx anything...and I probably already have...but can I tell you how much peace and happiness has entered our home?

No more mean bedtime mommy.
No more whiny, get-out-of-bed-a-thousand-times, kids.

I don't know how long it will last, but for however long it does, I'm going to enjoy it. Besides, you can't help but feel happy when powerful music praises the ONE who brings all peace.

5 comments:

Rachel D said...

I'll cross my fingers for you. :)

And you're one of my heroes for being such a SuperMom to juggle as much as you do.

The Thomas Family said...

Hey that' my life. I always tell my kids I turn in to a witch after 8pm. Okay it's more like 7pm. That's a really great idea. What a great site. I'll have to check that out.

I agree with the comment above. You are a Super Mom!

Rebecca said...

I love it when my kids are in bed and asleep. I loathe the process of getting them there some nights-particularly when I have to do it alone. Don't kids know parents are off duty once bedtime comes?

whitney said...

oh that's the best when you find something that makes life easier and better. i hope it keeps working. :)

Bekah: said...

what a great idea. i hope it continues to work.

loving the blog. such cute ideas. so inspiring. sometimes i think i'm too busy to be creative then i realize i should never be too busy to do what i love and refuel myself as i create something!

playlist