Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Breaking Dawn


So I finished the last book in the Twilight series last Saturday- approximately 24 hours after I started it. I've been meaning to post my two cents worth:

Things I didn't like:

1. Honestly, is this really geared at young adults(ie mostly teenage girls)? It's very sexual. I mean, I get that they are married, but still... I felt like even I must be blushing a couple times. There is no way I'd want my teenager reading this.

2. This book was fairly predictable for me. All of the twists I saw coming ahead of time.

Things I did like:

1. Obviously, the story is captivating. Like I said, I read it cover to cover in 24 hours. I am amazed at Stephenie Meyer's imagination and thoroughness (maybe at moments a bit too thorough :)). But she is definately talented and rich because of it.

2. I like happy endings. I like books (especially series) that tie up nicely at the end. That probably says quite a bit about my literary tastes but I can't handle all the crying that comes with people dying or love unrequited. Breaking Dawn- ends all warm and fuzzy. Gotta love that.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I thought some of it was a bit cheesey (I don't want to say too much to spoil it but lets just say some of the naming was cheesy) but I do also like a good ending.

The whole time I read it I thought the same thing, "I would never let my teenage girls read this."

But having said all that, I too, was captivated. I mean what does a girl have to do to be a vampire these days???!!!!??! I like the last 1/3 the best.

Jessica said...

I totally agree with you. I am so glad to hear you think it's not for teenagers because I've felt kind of alone in that opinion. It kind of bothers me that it's targeted to young adults. However, I did enjoy it and liked the ending.

The Sampietro's said...

AGREE! Didn't love it. But, i love the series. It got a bit corny in some spots and a lot of dead spots. Like when Jacob goes to the park...what was that all about?
later

Katie Smith said...

Well, I'm actually taking a break right now from my reading. I feel like I have to be able to say I did something else with my day other than just read...you know, like blog!

Anyway, nice to know it ends well. I too like happy endings. I'd have to agree that it's way to sexual. I wonder why she included so much of that?

Melanie said...

I really liked it even though I was prepared not to and I still had my issues with it her writing. I wasn't a fan of #2 and 3. But I have to agree with you. I didn't even think about the young adult thing because I was selfishly reading it for me and nothing bothered me. That could be because of the garbage I've accidentally read in the past (thank you Oprah's book club. . .I've thrown out and never finished reading so many books she's recommended). However, after the young women leaders in my ward started talking about how all the young women were reading it I kind of thought, "Ouch. It's a little too detailed for them. . ."
Definitely too much for a young adult novel.

Laurie said...

Didn't love it, but couldn't stop reading. Agree with you that it wrapped up it all up with a nice bow.

A bit anti-climatic though. And definitely not for teenagers!!

And she is imaginative, I just wish she had better editors to keep her consistent.

Read my review for how I really feel.

playlist