Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bane of my Existance

Can I tell you how much I despise my vacuum? Here's the low down. When I got married my parents bought us a vacuum from Sears. It worked fine but after seven years it wasn't working as well as it used to so a little over two years ago we went through the ordeal of buying a new vacuum. We researched it in Consumer Reports - we didn't need (or want to spend the money) on the top of the line vacuum but wanted a solid vacuum. CR recommended the Hoover EmPower as a great vacuum for the price. I am a loyal Consumer Reports fan. They have never steered me wrong before. But let me tell you this vacuum sucks- and not the way it is supposed to. Case in point, I am vacuuming in the family room and I can see a piece of lint on the floor. I go over the area once, then twice, and then a third time without any success. I finally said to Nate, "Can you just pick up that piece of string for me?" So here I am just two years later, once again searching for a decent vacuum. All I want is a clean floor, while only having to go over the area just once, is that too much to ask? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

mahina said...

i hear ya girl! we could do with a new vacuum! i hate having to go over, and over, and over a spot only to have to pick it up myself! arrrghh!

i'd love a recommendation, too!

Madsen Family said...

Megan...Our vacuum came from the vacuum store Josh worked at before his mission and it is like a heavy duty serious vacuum. It works great but has no attachment which drives me crazy sometimes....Good luck with the vacuum hunt. PS Did you get my email I sent a week ago about when I'd be in Spokane????I so HOPE you can come...let me know!

Anonymous said...

Dyson! All the way. It may be expensive but you won't have the problems you are having now. They are wonderful!

Laurie said...

We got the Hoover bagless that was at Costco for like $89. It's decent enough for our two area rugs (our whole house is laminate flooring), and the attachments are nice for getting dog hair off the sofa.

My parents just bought the Dyson "Animal" at Costco (they have a lot of carpeting). They really seem to like it, as does their housekeeper.

Good luck!

Melanie said...

I'm going to second the Dyson. We just bought one after we sold the home in Utah and we are in love. In fact, I was going to do a whole blog post on it. I bought one that comes with a hardwood floor attachment and four other attachments that I don't use as much. The hose stretches on forever and it makes vacuuming actually fun. It comes with a huge guarantee and filters that you don't have to replace. (That was always so expensive!) It is so clean too, especially for a bagless.
It was a hefty price to pay but after our last one (that really wasn't that great) we decided to splurge. We haven't been disappointed. Good luck in your search!

Ashlee said...

Yeah, sorry to tell you- but you're going to need to suck it up and splurge on the Dyson. Costco has them for a great deal, and sometimes you can find them on sale at Target. I'm not kidding you, it's worth EVERY PENNY! Honestly, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat! There are way too many good things to tell you- but my mom has owned hundreds of vacuums in her life, especially with her cleaning business, and she loves mine the most. :) Good luck! It really sucks (in a good way!)

paula said...

I have an eletrolux canister that lasted for 20 years and just bought a new one because the kids used it like a shop vac and sucked up water. I would have nothing else. Unless it was a vac system that we will have in the new house. Good luck Paula Vial

playlist