Monday, June 30, 2008

What's a girl to do??


Last Friday I felt like I was having one of those deja vu moments. I looked over at Jocelyn and said, "Did you cut your hair?" Even at 4 1/2 she tried to pull off the whole "What? I don't know what you're talking about" act. (Makes me nervous for her teenage years) I went over to inspect her hair and sure enough it was cut. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Seriuosly, I get that this isn't a new experience for mom's. LOTS of little girls cut their hair. The aggravating - pull - your-hair-out part of the story is that this is the THIRD time in a year. The first time happened right after Easter last year. I cried and cried as my friend Jenni cut Jocy's long hair to a cute bob at her shoulders. Later that year, she let Nate cut her hair. (Alright it wasn't totally her fault but still come on... she should have been traumatized enough from the first time she would have never let Nate near her.) Luckily, once again Jenni was able to fix it by just giving her some layers. So here we are- once again- a mere 14 months later dragging Jocelyn to Jenni's in hopes of salvaging something. This time we ended up with some wispy bangs. I hate bangs. Not because I don't think they are cute but because they require work. Like I need any more work when it comes to doing my kids hair. I'm hair- challenged enough as it is.
I'm starting to get a complex as a parent though. I mean really how many times is she going to cut her hair before my pleas that only Jenni or Aunt Kristy can cut her hair will sink in? As I lamented to Reed that whatever I was doing was not working, he mentioned that maybe Jocy had found her calling in life in cutting hair. I immediately responded, "I hope not because she's really not very good at it." Reed assured me she was only four and maybe years from now she will be. Honestly, I'm not convinced. But if the last year is any indication of what the future will be like- she'll get lots of practice.

7 comments:

mahina said...

lala is my only one, so far, that has done that! of course it was right in the front just after we had finally grown her bangs out and everything was one length! ever since that her hair doesn't seem to grow long enough in the front and she always has hair in her eyes! it is a thorn in my side!

i, too, am hair challenged! i swear i should have had all boys!!

Laurie said...

Maybe she just hasn't done it shockingly enough yet. :) Last summer Gabe took Dan's sideburn clippers to the middle of his head and cut a strip down to the scalp. After he was completely bald (and Jacob was horrified), he had some scalper's regret. We haven't had another incident . . . yet.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I wasn't gifted in the hair thing either. My sister Alli on the other hand is a perfectionist! Anyway, she still looks cute and that's all that matters. I have tons of pictures from grade school when I would love to cut my bangs all different lengths. lol

rozalyn said...

i can't imagine you being "hair-challenged"! You're absolutely great at everything you do and your hair always looks great while you do it. : )
Nevertheless, I feel your pain. Unfortunately I could fill a book about my children's hair cutting "adventures".

Ashlee said...

We haven't had that drama yet, but here's knocking on wood! It's weird though, it seems almost every kid I've "fixed" cuts for were 3. Tell her she's too old for that now- 4 year olds can't cut their own hair! :) That's what I'm hoping anyway. She's as cute as can be though! And those cards you found are too funny! Where do you buy them?

Julie said...

She looks so cute now. One of my girls took scissors to her new shirt--the first time she wore it! Of course it was a more expensive one instead of a Target clearance shirt. Best of luck with your future hair dresser.

Megan said...

Ash the cards can be purchased at this link. http://www.lineuponlinecards.com/

Keep your fingers crossed that your girls steer clear of the hair cutting experience. :)

playlist