Thursday, February 14, 2008

If it wasn't connected, I'd lose my head

Since having baby three I have been completely scatterbrained. Well honestly it was probably when I was pregnant with her but I blamed that on the fact that I was pregnant and forgetfulness goes hand in hand with pregnancy, or at least that is what I have been told. I firmly believed that it would go away once I had the baby. Well.... five months later it hasn't. It may have gotten worse. I mentioned to a friend about how I forget appointments or I lose things when I go places. She said, "Of course you lose things! You're too busy trying to NOT lose your three kids that that in and of itself is an accomplishment."
Honestly I used to think I was a pretty organized and structured person. Now days I just can't keep anything straight. Take today for example. Nate's at school and Jocy just got picked up to go to school. I'm trying to rush around to go help with Nate's V-day party. I can't find my wallet ANYWHERE. So I am back tracking my steps. I had it yesterday at the gym, at Costco and then later that afternoon at Albertsons. I'd stop in at the grocery store in between a song practice and Jocy's dance lessons. Nate's teacher needed sugar cookies for the party the next day and I knew that with the million things that still needed to be done that day that this would be my only chance. So I drug three children into the store on a mad dash for sugar cookies. I even did the self checkout and rushed everyone back into the car.
So as I was reviewing all this I decided I would call the place where Jocy takes dance class and albertson's and just get those places checked off my list. Mind you this was after scouring the van for 20minutes and every other conceivable place. To my surprise and utter delight (and a fair amount of surprise) the lady at Albertson's told me they had my wallet there. Of course I was relieved but still a little skeptical that everything would still be in it. I had no idea where it had been left (somewhere between the self help checkout and my car) or who had turned it in.
When I picked it up at Albertson's and looked through it I discovered that EVERYTHING was in it. Can you believe that? I left that store with so much joy and optimism. I watch the news regularly and from everything that is portrayed each night, there seems like little hope is left for us. I just kept thinking "With all the bad things that happen in the world and how often people are portayed as having little to no values, there are still so many good people out there." So there you go a two fold lesson: 1. I really am crazy and should have anything of value super glued to my body and 2. People are so good!!! (well not all of them but most are.) Anyways, this is getting lengthy but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the honest person who turned in my wallet. It was a huge relief to get it back. But even more then that it put a huge smile on my face to be reminded that most people, when given the opportunity, really will do the right thing. :)

10 comments:

mahina said...

i don't know what it is about baby #3, but i think she's the one that really messed me up! i forget things all the time and i can't get rid of that last "few" pounds! i am falling behind in the housework, etc. but at least we can blame it all on the baby!! haha!

Katie Smith said...

I'm the same way Meg. I watch the news regularly and I'm quite convinced that people are just bad, and it's only getting worse. How refreshing to see that there still are some good people in the world. I'm glad you got your wallet back and I'm super glad that everything was still in it. It does give you a little hope that the entire universe is not completely corrupt.

-Sydney- said...

I read an article on CNN the other day that said memory loss is indeed a proven side effect of pregnancy and it can continue for up to one year afterwards. There's still hope!

KT said...

One time I thought some checkout lady gave me back $5 more than she should have, so I took it back and then discovered on my way home that she hadn't given me too much change after all, and that due to my math deficiency I was out $5.

Ashlee said...

Wow, I could have written the same thing about my mind being lost. Maybe it's baby #3, maybe it's 2 toddlers, or maybe I'm not nearly as organized as I like to think! No matter what the reason, I'm always running around crazy.

I left my wallet last year at Winco. I was rushing in, almost in tears 8 months pregnant, 2 babies in tow almost in tears when some sweet lady at the counter saw me coming and yelled "We got it!" She must have recognized me from the picture on my lisence. I had left mine in the parking lot in the basket. I too, was shocked to find everything in it. I'm a huge paranoid freak, so I watched my cards for weeks and nothing ever happened- so I too was humbled when I was reminded that there ARE good people out there! Thank heavens!!!

Ashlee said...

Notice I wrote "almost in tears" twice? Ugh, see what I mean? :)

Becca said...

It is refreshing to know that there are still some good people in the world, huh? I am glad that your wallet was found.

Melanie said...

I can relate, Megan. Honestly, I've only got two kids (yes, this third on the way has made me even more dumb) and I lose everything. Heck, let's face it. I'm so ditzy now I can't even hold a pencil without it flying out of my hands and smacking someone.
The wallet thing happened to me too. I was in a not so great area and I dropped it in the parking lot of the grocery store. Someone had dropped it off at customer service with everything still inside it.
It always surprises me to find that there are really so many incredibly wonderful people in the world but it probably shouldn't. I have to remind myself that if I would return a wallet, maybe there are a million others out there who just might do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

megan--thanks for the heads up about the 3 kids thing. i've heard the same from other people and i'm prepping myself already for baby #3 to add more chaos to our life.

Emily said...

Fun to read your blog--I'm glad you found your wallet! I love seeing updates pics of your family. Yes, the rumor is true...after too long of an absence (2 1/2 yrs) we will be coming to Oregon for a week this summer. We're planning on the first week of August. I hope you'll be around--we'd love to see you.

playlist