Saturday, April 25, 2009

Things I learn from my kids

A few weeks ago, I was folding clothes, and being the mean mom that I am, was making my kids fold their own clothes. It's something they are totally capable of doing. It has nothing to do with me disliking it. (actually truth be told, I like folding. I despise putting away though. So I never want to fold because I know what the next step is.)

Anyways, Nate starts to grumble about how hard his life is, about how miserable it is. Me-- being the mature parent that I am-- scoffed and said, "Buddy this is not hard. You have no idea what hard is and if you want to continue whining I can show you how hard it can be."

Fast forward a few weeks, to a particularly hard day when I am feeling particularly sorry for myself and the trials I face. I had skyped my dad-- knowing that if anyone could tell me how it is and help me count my blessings, it was probably him. And he did. He told me how it was and reminded me I had a MILLION things to be thankful for and the things I was facing down really weren't the mountains I had made them out to be. But the surprise lesson in all of this came from my son, Nate, who I didn't realize was listening to me wallow in self pity. Nate from the hallway said, "How come I'm not allowed to complain about how hard my life is but you can?"

Touche'

And really he's right. And what's more, I started thinking of my conversation with him a few weeks prior. I thought of it, in context of me and my Heavenly Father. I'm sure at times when I'm whining He really just wants to say, "Really, this is all you can take?" But instead He is patient with me and gives me hope that things will get better and strength to find joy in the present. I really believe by the time Nate is grown and on his own, I will have learned more from him than he could ever learn from me.

1 comment:

mahina said...

i'm glad i'm not the only one that makes their kids help with laundry! the way they complain about it you'd think i was abusing them!

playlist