Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkins

So the annual pumpkin carving went swimmingly. The kids and I carved them last friday- unfortunately because of Reed's busy school schedule and work we just couldn't find a time that he could be there so he missed out. Anyways we- and I use the term we in it's loosest form- cut the pumkins, dug out the guts and then the kids told me what they wanted the face to look like. It's hilarious to me that both Nate and Jocy insisted on having their own pumpkin and kindly chose one out for Elayna. They wanted Reed and me to pick one out also but we insisted we were fine. Jocy ended up bringing home pumpkin #4 from preschool and so Reed and I agreed to share it. Realistically, I realized the more pumpkins there were -- the more pumpkins I would be carving. So five hours and four pumpkins later, this was the result. They do look like pretty good pumpkins but I'm not sure I can survive that much carving every year. Maybe next year there will be a "girls" pumpkin and a "boys" pumpkin. I know I threaten that now but this time next year the blog will read the same ol' story again. I'm a sucker for tradition. Ok this next picture almost made the whole experience worth it. I had to take a break while carving pumpkins to feed Elayna. I had already gutted all the pumpkins and carved Nate's. I had sat down on the couch to feed Laynie and was looking at Jocy who was standing on one of the chairs next to the table and was wiping a pumpkin with a wash cloth. All of a sudden- almost in slow motion- I saw her lose her footing on the chair. She tried to balance herself by grabbing the HUGE tupperware bowl full of pumpkin guts. I think you know where I am going with this. She proceeded to fall onto the floor but not without bringing the entire bowl of pumpkin guts down on top of her head. I just burst out laughing. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long long time. She of course was crying her head off. I knew she wasn't hurt- just freaked out that all that "slimy goop" was all over her. I really really really wanted to go run and get my camera to take a picture but I didn't have the heart to traumatize her any more than she already was. So you'll have to settle for the pile on the floor that I dug her out from underneath. :)

5 comments:

Katie Smith said...

Poor Jocey! Did you mean to post pictures of the pumpkin goop? I don't see any. Maybe I just mis-read. I'm dying to see pics of Nate and Jocey in costume. Please post soon. Did you dress Lanie up?

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are so brave. Carving pumpkins by yourself with three kids. Way to go! Funny story too!

Melanie said...

Wow, I think I would have risked traumatizing my child to get a photo of that. You're a better mom than me. ;)
Seth and I did all the carving this year and that was hard enough. I can't imagine doing them all just by myself. You're brave! But like you, I'm a sucker for tradition. I think I would have done the same thing.

rozalyn said...

Ha ha ha ha! I saw the picture before I read the post (abt. the pumpkin carving) and I thought, "Wow, Megan has gotten really super laid back to just throw all that pumpkin goop on the floor like that! Maybe it's just easier to clean up? Maybe I'll try it next year--no." I'm glad Jocy wasn't hurt. And as much as I love jack o'lanterns, I would seriously consider paying someone to carve them all for me.

mahina said...

that is so funny! i am always torn between being a good mom and capturing those types of things on camera! i am always tempted to get a picture of some misdeed the girls have committed, but then rethink it because if they see me take a picture then in their little minds they might think that mommie really isn't that mad and may proceed to do more naughty things just so they can get on the blog!! haha!

playlist