Sunday, April 27, 2008

Is there a doctor in the house? Oh, no there's not.


So.....this is Reed's new hobby. Thanks to Mike Neilson or should I say no thanks to Mike.


Mike, our brother in law who is also going to oral surgery school, sent us a suture kit for Reed's birthday. I don't think I have EVER seen Reed so excited for any gift and that's saying alot. (It's not like I don't give nice gifts. No, you don't detect any bitterness there. No, none at all.) Anyways, for quite some time now Reed has been wishing he could do stitches himself. I don't know where this dream came from - maybe it is because he has had stitches so many times that he feels it would be a useful skill. I, on the other hand, think that if you get stitches you go to the doctor, urgent care center, emergency room, etc. It's not a do-it-yourself project. Oh, but it is to Reed. So in addition to the suture kit. Mike sent along a 4x6 card of information. Is it unnerving to anyone else that all the info on how to stitch somebody up fit on both sides of this 4x6 card???


Anyways, along with Mike's information and the tutorials that are plentiful on the internet Reed attempted to stitch up this orange. I was not impressed, this orange definately would have bled to death. About half way through the experience Reed mumbled, "This is harder than it looks." But he is not discouraged. He insists that he will master this in his free time. (Luckily he has very little of that right now.)


I asked him later why he didn't go to med school if he was so interested in this. His reply was, "I don't want to be a doctor, I just want to be able to do stitches." Wierd. So visit the Bell house with care.... if you happen to cut something open here DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let Reed get near you.


P.S. Mike: What in the world is the scalpel for? I thought we were stitching people up not cutting them open.
P.P.S. Just for the record- Reed is very aware that the only chance he ever has of stitching up me or our children is if there has been some huge catastrophe and there isn't any remote possible chance that any qualified medical person is anywhere near and without Reed's stitching abilities someone might die. With those odds, pretty much the only thing he will be saving is an orange.

16 comments:

Becca said...

Well Megan, I don't know what to say about this obsession of Reeds. I think it's a little strange myself, maybe it's a guy thing? At least he's ambitious. Who knows.

jess said...

this is so funny. i know i haven't seen reed in years, yet to me, this seems sooo reed. just make sure he doesn't use your kids to practice on!

whitney said...

wow. that is hysterical! if he gets any better, i definitely want to see another picture.

-Sydney- said...

That totally gave me the willies thinking about it! Did you know that superglue can hold together most cuts just as well as stitches, especially on hands and fingers. AND it heals without as much scarring. In case Reed is in a situation where it's either him or superglue to seal a wound ;)

Emily said...

That's hilarious! It totally sounds like Reed, too. I love laughing at random things (hmmm, maybe the reason I'm married to Ben) and that definitely made me laugh and put a smile on my face when reading. Good luck, Reed!

Katie Smith said...

Oh Megan that is too funny! I never knew this small tidbit of information about my own brother. Aren't there better things to do with his free time...

Madsen Family said...

That poor orange. Who knew Reed had it in him? I definitely am steering clear of your house when bleeding!

Bekah: said...

ok this really cracks me up. tell reed that michael recently learned how to suture an eye, i'm sure he'd be glad to pass on the skills...haha! yikes, that is a scary thought.

thanks for dinner. it was fabulous. you amaze me. how do you do everything you do?

mahina said...

i agree with you, that orange would have lost all it's juice! that is hilarious! mitch will laugh so hard when i tell him of reed's new interest!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rozalyn said...

Oh I'm laughing sooo hard. I'll have Doug call him up and coach him through hand ties (tying off sutures with the needle dangling on the end. I try not to think about it) and this opens up a whole world of possibilities of what to send the Bell family for Christmas this year from the Birds! : ) Thank you Mike!
P.S. the stitching could come in really handy at Scout Camp. Just make sure that Reed flushes the wound first.

The Thomas Family said...

Okay, so does Mike always send such thoughtful b-day gifts?!
As far as Reed's suturing skills. I'm impressed. The person may of bleed to death but at least their limb would of been connected. I'm sure it's better then I could of done. He's got skills.

Ashlee said...

I'm with ya, Megan... that orange would be dead! It's an interesting hobby- and I'm seriously laughing at the idea of Reed having the desire to master stitches just for the heck of it. We have a guy in our ward (who is actually an ER doctor) who totally loves to do them at home for people. WHAT?!? I guess there are lots of different people in the world for a reason. :) Can't wait to see if he figures it all out.

Kat Rose said...

I knew Reed had talent, but those stiches are truely a masterpiece. If I ever need stitches in an emergency I hope Reed is there.

N. Tipps said...

Only Reed...That makes me laugh!

Jessica said...

How funny! Good to hear from you Megan and glad I found your blog. Yes, lets get together sometime.

playlist